to purchase a print or license an image please visit www.JonathanAlcorn.com

Monday, December 3, 2007

The Beach Boys' Brian Wilson

When I was a kid , I spent a whole summers listening to The Beach Boys. Brian Wilson is the driving force behind the band. It's well documented that he's dealt with more than his share of torturous hard times and that he hears voices in his head. As we meet I tell him it's an honor for me to meet him, making my best effort to create a low key easygoing environment. Brian smiles and seems pleased and gracious and asks me where I grew up. He is obviously not so comfortable in front of the camera, but at the same time accommodating , professional,and very friendly. He even agrees to go outside for a few more photos on a balcony. His eyes light up when I say I'm finished. After saying goodbye, I hear him saying he's on his way to the park with his dogs. This year, Brian Wilson is one of the Kennedy Center Honors recipients for his contributions to America and it's culture. As I was setting up lights , I couldn't help thinking back to those days in the 70's and how 30 + years later I'm in Brian's home for a portrait session, life is definitely a journey. And this job I have rocks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jonathan, about your post...

I don't know where to begin. I found this blog entry after seeing a movie "Beach Boys - the Making of Nashville". I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it and went on a quest for "where are they now?" All the band members performed as usual except Brian. He was replaced by huge country talents singing his songs. Very impressive, but... Was Brian that debilitated? So, great picture of him on your blog. It captured what I learned about Brian in the film.

Life is a journey? Without end! Thanks for your thoughts.